Monday, June 28, 2010

Here we go

Alan Runyan told me that the donations are piling up and to get things going now, so here I go.

First of all, thanks to all the people and companies who have contributed so far. I've always admired the way the Zope community responds to these calls for action. I promise to make the most out of your donations.

For those who may wonder who exactly is this person who will write the ZODB book, My name is Carlos de la Guardia and I've been part of the Zope community for more than 10 years. I recently wrote a book about web development with Grok, which actually includes a chapter on the ZODB and even a section about running it outside of Zope.

I am very happy to get the chance to write about the ZODB and my aim is set on writing something that can both be useful to the community and open up the doors to get more Python developers benefiting from the ZODB. That's why Zope and Plone will not be discussed in the book and the focus will not be on web development. We want to appeal to a more general Python audience here.

Throughout the writing process, we plan to use this blog to let people know how the book is going, as well as to publish small articles around ZODB topics that we'll cover. This is also a good place for volunteers to write about ZODB experiences, favorite packages, tips, etc. If anybody wants to contribute to the blog, please say so in the comments and we'll get you started. If you don't want to write posts but have an idea or suggestion for us that would be great as well.

I will follow this post with an updated table of contents. The research phase for the book has officially started and I promise to keep you posted. Thanks again for the opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. What about keeping the book source/outline under (public) source control to get feedback ASAP?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!Thanks verfahrensdoku

    ReplyDelete